Sunday, September 6, 2009
You Become Responsible For Ever...
... for what you have tamed. Reading Taming the Fox, a metaphor for differentiation, helped me see the perspective and whole picture of differentiation. The first time I read the metaphor I didn't realize that the prince was the teacher and the fox was the student. I had to read the passage again to get the real message: The teacher is both a student and a teacher, the student is both a teacher and a student. That is some great insight. I took a second to think back on experiences of field and there are definite daily instances that I can remember students teaching me something. I think that this is what a "community" of learners is all about. Linking a classroom community with our experiences in the Elementary Education program, we "Tame the Fox" every day whether it be through discussion or presentation of part of the content we are continually students and teachers. The trick now is to LET that be part of our own classroom. I hope that I can make that scaffold for students in a way that they will be able to tame the fox in my own classroom. I think that a big part of starting off right is connecting with students starting with Maslow's Hierarchy. Students need to feel connected and safe to open their minds to education. We as educators become "responsible for ever" for their education and differentiating is a big part. I found it helpful that the book went over different ethnic back round scenarios with DuShawn and Bianca. The elements on the Student Seeks cog are the same (affirmation, contribution, power, purpose, and challenge) except there are different "spins" such as DuShawn and Bianca. In their cultural circles for example, helpfulness is valued and in their school setting, independence is valued. It is essential for each student to feel those five traits elements they seek, it is our job to find the different "spins" or differentiation students' need for success. I think that interests are are good way, but not the only way to differentiate students. I think that for some students that are having a hard time connecting with education, interests could be some thing to spark their fire.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Excellent.... I appreciated the personal nature of how you connected to this reading. THE LITTLE PRINCE is full of metaphors like this one. 4 points.
Post a Comment