Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Chapter 6

What?...
We learned about memory, storage, and encoding information. We learned about ways to study better such as summarizing and chuncking information. We made a contract to decide on study strategies that work best for us. Chapter six also learned about the process of storing memory, and we did a moving activity to show how different bits of information are stored they are, declarative knowledge, procedural knowledge, explitict and implicit knowledge. We learned that cramming is not a good way to study, which is what I think most people do. We also learned how to have meaningful learning, which I felt were the good study strategies we learned such as organization, elaboration, and visual imagery.

So What?....
So we know ways to teach our students and how to introduce new material so that it stays in the long term memory, verses just staying in short term for getting a grade on a test. I am amazed by the way that the human brain works, it is so amazing that the peice of information is in the sensory register for about 2-3 seconds. That is crazy, something we do everyday that we don't even know that we are doing, such as breathing. So we know that attention is more important than ever, we really need to keep attention of our students so that better learning and linking can take place.

Now What?...
Now, I know better ways to study my self, and the summerizing worked best for me. I really like that we get to know these facts about the brain to better our students understanding. Now I need to find out what individually works for the students I teach. I am glad that we are able to learn this development because that makes teaching that much more interesting and effective. I think that with this concept of memory, we have the tools and now we have to quess and check what works best.

No comments: