Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Extra Credit- John Ratey

http://www.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-19970501-000032.html

I read a conversation with John Ratey and he is one cool guy. He has a very compassionate point of view that isn't what I think, when I think science. He talks about in the article about categories and how we are making categories smaller to seem like we are doing science. He explains that this is hard because what happens to different people who have more than one category? He talks about the self esteem that adults with ADD have, and it is low. One of his patients wanted to go back to college to finish his degree to prove that he was smart because he failed college, but IBM wanted to buy one of his products!!! He says that you need to "know thy brain" and not use it as an escape but be responsible for your brain and how you are. This is my favorite part, the interviewer says "The brain scares people." John Ratey says, "Because it is so damn complicated." and isn't that true? I really feel that that statement sings to my heart. It is really complicated in my eyes, just the slightest thing can go wrong and it is game over. He says that one of his best discoveries is just helping his patients find out their biology. I think it is great that he doesn't boast about his findings, he seems like a down to earth guy who really is interested in the brain and helping people. I really like him, I enjoyed his article and I want to find some of his works to read further. He seems like the type of writer that I could totally connect with based on his interview, he had a really good way of making things easier to the common civilian.

No comments: