Sunday, November 16, 2008

Field Experience II

I had my students do a webquest this week on ancient civilizations and it was very difficult to find sites that were modest. It was the strict request of our cooperating teacher to have modest art. It is very difficult to have an Ancient Greece webquest that doesn't have a naked statue or something like that. Anyway I finally make a webquest for the five ancient civilizations that I am doing and the whole time even though I knew that the sites were "kid friendly" my heart was racing that they would navigate to something and I would be the one to blame. Even when I knew they were good sites. It is interesting to be in an area that is very conservative. I remember when I was in 6th grade that we looked at picture after picture because our teacher explained. I don't think harmful, however, I am complying with my teacher and area of students. I also had a glitch with technology this week when I was trying to put my rubric for a presentation on the Elmo. Our teacher has a very disorganized station where she keeps her technology like laptop, elmo, remotes and it also has piles of paper etc... So I felt like I was invading personal space when I was clearing off some of the papers because I couldn't get the paper to lay straight. Needless to say I love of the technology our teacher has in the classroom, I would just set things up different.
In my class the students are very boy/girl shy, a girl didn't even want to sit in a boy's desk! It was interesting because the teacher said, "call me when you get asked out on a date." and the student said"NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!" I had a good personal laugh at that. I remember being boy crazy because my mom made me dump my sixth grade boyfriend. Something that our teacher was talking to us about make me feel really said for two students in my class. Last year they had a teacher that did not treat these two boys very well. They both are very hyper and are loud, which shouldn't be put down. Unfortunately the teacher did not handle the situation very well and the boy's now have a poor sense of self. One of the boys drew a very good picture and I complimented him about his picture and he just deflected it and said he was "dumb." It makes me feel bad that other people feel the need to put down others, especially a student. I like that our teacher can find the good thing in every student. She said you have to do that or it doesn't make teaching worth it. I agree with her fully.

No comments: