Monday, December 15, 2008

Chapter 10

What?... Chapter 10 focuses on Social Cognitive Views of Learning. In this chapter, there was a lot of information about modeling. One of the sections of the book that helped me with modeling the most was the steps of how students learn from modeling. Attention, the learner must pay attention to the model in order to be able to learn the skill that is being acquired. Retention, the learner must remember what the model does. Motor reproduction, the learner must be physically capable of reproducing the modeled behavior. Motivation, the learner must be motivated to demonstrate the modeled behavior. This is the section that made the most sense to me as far as learning a certain skill. When I am trying to pronounce a hard word, or learn another language, modeling is the best that works for me.

So What?... So, taking these new found steps and incorporating them in my study as a student and in my planning as a teacher will be important. I think that modeling is one of the best was to scaffold a hard skill or assignment. The students will be able to work better in their zone of proximal development because they will have the modeling. The teacher needs to break down the steps to the student so that they will be able to recognize that there is a model available for help when they are struggling. Also, I think that modeling is effective in the classroom because students will be able to model for other students. In that exchange, both students will be able to learn from the experience. I feel that it will be effective, because students learn well from other students. There are aspects in teaching that I think the teacher needs to teach, however, there are portions that the students can take over and become self regulated, which will help them in their daily lives.

Now What?... Now as I am a student learning of different strategies to help students learn, I will keep modeling in mind. I want to use modeling in the two different examples as I stated before. There are many different ways of learning, and when something is being learned for the first time, I think that for me, modeling is the best way that I would be able to acquire the skill I desire to master. When there is a student that is accelerated in my classroom, I want to try modeling to help them work in their zone of proximal development. I feel that modeling for other students will be able to enhance their knowledge, and social skills as they are in a regular education classroom. I think that the students learning from another student will make them feel like they have a safe community of learning.

No comments: