Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Chapter 9

What?...
In chapter 9 we learned about the behaviorists views of learning. I thought that this chapter, even though I have learned these concepts many times had a different view to me. I never looked at it in a teachers mind. Also, being creatures of habit, I think that from this chapter I understand that habit can be helpful and hurtful to learning. It can be helpful to show order and be operant, the response is usually voluntary, the learner can control whether or not they are going to make it. It can be hurtful when it is classical conditioning because the answer is involuntary and in my personal opinion this is the worst type because learning doesn't happen because they don't make the choice to learn. In my classroom, I want to have routine and order, however, I want the students in my classes to learn to make the decision to learn.



So What?...
So now as I am thinking of ways to manage my classroom in learning and behavior I will have these views to help me. I will have order, and have choices to be made by the students so they can start to take charge of their own education. I think that it is important for students to learn that they are willing and able to made decisions. I feel that elementary years are almost like classical conditioning because we are so automatic to respond. I want the students to make the choice to respond. I think that the ability to make choices will help them socially, even if it is a choice of a side dish. Even something as simple as a decision I think is closely related to behavior. Making decisions creates a behavior and I feel that it is important for students to realize that as soon as they are ready for that. I wish that in my own life, I would have learned this sooner before I said or did that certain something.


Now What?...
Now as I go through life, and preparation for a classroom I am going to keep B.F. Skinner in mind about conditioning. I want to be able to condition myself and classroom to be able to make decisions voluntarily. I want my classroom to be a place where students can decided to make answers and decide to not to answer questions. I think that making a safe learning environment will help students find the appropriate behaviors for the situation. I want to continue to make my study of being a teacher based upon the learning environment I am going to have in my classroom. I want to have a place where children feel that they are safe and their comments are safe. I think that learning these experiments again, even though I have prior knowledge of them really opened my eyes to the importance of behavior.

No comments: