Monday, September 8, 2008

Schools focus on integrating technology

Kurutz, D. (2008) Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Schools Focus on Integrating Technology,
Monday August 25,2008 Accessed: September 08,2008 http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/valleyindependent/teenscene/s_584724.html

This article was of interest to me because of the things that we are particularly doing in our class we are using blogs to communicate our assignments and we are using technology in other classes to submit assignments and keep in contact with our professors. The girl interviewed in the article said "It (technology) has changed how I study, how I research, everything. I feel much better prepared to go to college... I couldn't imagine life without a laptop at this point." The article talks about the school district the girl is from and they indicate that they received a grant to have the wonderful ability to use laptops in their classrooms (72,000 laptops!!). One activity that blew me away is that in the elementary school got to teleconference with a story teller and author! That is what totally hooked me to this article and really I thought that could be an amazing experience in my class. They are starting to use blogs like we are in class and the teacher relates technology to rock 'n' roll "...it was like, ' oh my God the world is going to fall apart!' " He later on explains, we need to teach them how to utilize it so they can use it to engage and benefit.

1 comment:

C. Merrill said...

What kind of study is it and what kind of conclusions can you draw from it.